The Best Health Information Sites
The following 20 web sites have been found by a joint project of Consumer Reports Webwatch and the Health Improvement Project to provide the most reliable health information.
They range from the very detailed and authoritative web sites containing exhaustive medical information, desease conditions and drugs to the simpler ones containing basic health information, medical news and pointers for healthier living and lifestyle.
- National Institutes of Health. Its mission is to: ” seek fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce the burdens of illness and disability.”
- WebMD. Its logo states “Better Information. Better Health”. WebMD is a leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans.
- MSN Health & Fitness states its two main objectives: (1) provide reliable, credible and detailed information to answer health and fitness questions both big and small, and (2) make this information easy to find and use.
- About.com Health. Compilation of information from different sources on many health topics.
- MedicineNet.com. Their logo says: “We Bring Doctors’ Knowledge to You”. It provides easy-to-read, in-depth, authoritative medical information for consumers via its robust, user-friendly, interactive website.
- Yahoo! Health. Useful, easy to read health information on a variety of health topics.
- MayoClinic.com. Great information. More than 3,300 physicians, scientists and researchers from Mayo Clinic share their expertise and knowledge on many health topics.
- RealAge. ”Live Life to the Youngest”. Well written, authoritative health information. Tools and tests to assess personal health lifestyle. Created by doctors, including Dr. Mike Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz.
- Huffpost Healthy Living. Articles and news stories. Mostly for browsing.
- Drugs.com. Trustworthy and comprehensive information on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines & natural products.
- QualityHealth.com. Health information, recent health news, health encyclopedia, expert Q&A, etc.
- AetnaIntelliHealth.com. Great site. No advertising. Authoritative health information.
- KidsHealth. A great site for information about health, behavior, and development from before birth through the teen years. With sections for parents, for kids, and for teens.
- Healthology. Physician-generated health and medical information. Contain text and video-based health content.
- RxList. “The Internet Drug Index”. Detailed and current pharmaceutical information on brand and generic drugs. Founded by pharmacists.
- Everyday Health. Useful information on health topics.
- MedHelp.org. Health information. Tools to track level of personal health.
- Prevention.com. Topics on health and healthy living, natural remedies, health trackers.
- eMedicineHealth.com. Information on deseases and conditions, drugs and supplements.
- FamilyDoctor.org. Great site operated by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Contains comprehensive information on a variety of health topics. Includes categories on Deseases & Conditions, Prevention & Wellness, Pregnancy & Newborns, Kids, Teens, Seniors, Drug Info, Healthcare Management.